Have you ever wondered why your google maps ranking is lower than everyone else? Like anything google it all depends on building trust and authority. Now you are wondering why the other guy has more authority than you. Maybe you have even been in business longer. The good news is we know the reason. When a new client signs on for our services we immediately analysis what the other guy is doing to rank over you. In the old days it was a top 7 listing to get you listed. On Aug 7, 2015 there was an update to the way google displays map listing results. There was a switch to offering only the top 3 businesses. This means local listings have become even more competitive.
That was the bad news. The good news is there are a lot of things that can be done to increase your position on google maps. As before you need to be sure your business is listed on all the important directories. We work with a list of about 200 places that we make sure you listed on. This is a process we do by hand. Each profile is completely filled out. Images are added as well as a description about your company.
Here are some of the important factors for an effective google map listing.
1) NAP consistency
2) Citation Volume
3) Domain Authority
4) Anchor Diversity and Volume (Keep penguin penalties in mind)
5) Reviews – Volume and Velocity
(you don’t want a ton of reviews all at once and you don’t want to have double of all the competition)
6) Social Signals (debatable if this helps maps listings) it will in the future most likely.
(Twitter – Facebook – Youtube – Instagram – Linkedin)
7) Behavior signals (bounce rate and time on site) Need mobile click to call
8) Google maps on site with full address and phone number listed on all pages
9) Schema markup (basically this is google map meta tags)
10) Complete GMB – Google My Business profile with images that have geo-location meta data.
In addition to the above list we have our team source citations that are industry and location specific for your business. This gives your listing the boast it needs to pop above everyone else. The other big tip we can offer that we insist all our clients do is to get registered by the local branch of the Better Business Bureau and Chamber of Commerce. The last important thing we always do is register your business with relevant industry trade organizations.